Monday, July 8, 2013

Games in Class?

Yeah that's right! It's time to stop being boring and bring games back into class. For some weird reason traditional teachers stop letting kids play when they get out of elementary school. Then they proceed to suck the life out of them via "learning."

I want to bring them back!

Games make life so much better. I love games and so I want to use them in class. They really do have all sorts of uses.

Purposes for games in my Math classes are:
1. To break the ice, allow students to become strong team members, and learn life's important lessons. Students have no idea how to interact with each other. If you don't believe me, look at teenage couples. So... awkward... Games can help students learn to work together and stop being jerks.

2. To have FUN! Fun isn't a bad thing. Sometimes students are feeling groggy or down or bored even before class really gets going. Use a game to wake them up! Use a game to get students into a happier mood or to celebrate successes.

3. To practice and review. Part of hating the traditional math class to me is hating worksheets. If I ever want to crush children's delight in math, I'd give them worksheets. Why can't we turn practice into a game? Take the problems from a boring worksheet, put them into a game, and now students can practice while enjoying themselves. I don't know why teacher insist on only using games for review. Why can't we use them to practice before review time?

4. To learn Math. Some games are perfect tools for learning mathematics. Look at poker: a game of probabilities all over the place. We don't necessarily need to teach gambling games (someone somewhere will probably throw a fit over it) but we can use other games to teach mathematics. Then math becomes the tool students use to become better at something they want to be good at. Sweet!

Note: Game-Based Learning
There is a movement going on to have game-based learning in schools. I like the idea, but I'm not sure how it will pan out. I've seen some mighty bad "educational" games made. If software developers can make games that are cool that teach students real skills, then I'm all for it. If a game can engage a student so he/she is intrinsically motivated to learn more, then let's do it!

What other purposes can you see for using games in class? Are any of these purpose not okay with you? Do you think Game-Based Learning will succeed?

No comments:

Post a Comment